Thursday 18 January 2024

Assignment 1A

Subject: Self Introduction

Dear Professor Blackstone,

My name is Damien, ever since I was young, I have felt envious of my peers who knew their passion and the path they wanted to embark on in life. I graduated from Environmental and Water Technology at Ngee Ann Polytechnic. This course helped to broaden my horizon, enabling me to realize how meaningful and impactful engineering can be. With that, I decided to enroll in Civil Engineering in SIT. Currently, I find what I am learning enjoyable and glad that I entered the engineering field.

One communication strength I have is empathy for others. I always try to put myself in others’ perspective and consider their feelings. When a friend of mine talks to me about their problems, I am always able to give appropriate and useful feedback.

My communication weakness is that I have difficulty expressing myself. I am an extremely introverted person who never opens up to people whom I am not comfortable with. When a stranger engages in a conversation with me, I struggle to find the right words, which leads to bad expression of my thoughts.

My first goal for this module is to be more vocal in expressing myself to people including those who I am not familiar with. This might seem trivial, but for me, it is an accomplishment to step out of my comfort zone and bond with others. Next, I would like to sharpen my critical thinking skills, as these skills will be valuable throughout various aspects of my life.

Something that defines me is the fact that I believe I can get things done when I put my heart into it.

Thank you for reading and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Yours sincerely,

Damien Cheng


9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Damien,

    I enjoyed reading your email and felt that it truly reflects your genuine self. Your content is relevant, and you delivered the introductory email quite effectively. I appreciate how your email is filled with examples and explanations, demonstrating your ability to express ideas and thoughts well! This engagement factor made the reading experience enjoyable.

    A minor suggestion would be to spell out your name as "Damien Cheng" for a more formal tone. Additionally, in the first paragraph, consider using the British English spelling "realise" to follow our language convention.

    Overall, I comprehend your language use and agree with the way your email is organised.

    Furthermore, having worked with you on our math project, I believe that you can not only accomplish tasks when you set your heart into them but also consistently! Bravo on a job well executed, Damien!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gordon, thank you for the suggestion and kind comments. I am glad that you enjoyed reading my email.

      Delete
  3. Hi Damien,

    Good fluency and good content, fitting the deliverables as requested by Mr. Blackstone. Very cool letter, and nice to meet yet another Ngee Ann alumni.

    Concise points and examples on your communication strengths and weaknesses, and for your first goal, noting it as a point of accomplishment accentuates its significance to you.

    I would've liked to get an understanding on why you've made the change from environmental and water technology to civil engineering. There's some overlap in skillsets, sure, but that alone says not the full story.

    And with what defines you... It will be incredibly rude to say that anyone *can* get things done when they put their heart to it, but it wouldn't be wrong, either.
    Sadly, even with our work together on the EM1 project, I regret that I still don't know much about you, but surely, there's something about you that sets you apart from everyone else? Something, from any aspect of your life, either abstract or concrete, meaningful to you, and guides your principles and/or sensibilities as a person? I would love for you to share with the world what defines you and ONLY you. Something uniquely Damien Cheng.

    Overall, a good read, but I'd appreciate more character from your text. I believe there's something within you that with time, you'd come to proudly show to the world. To our growth together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hong yi, thank you for the kind comments and opinion. I will reflect and find something that defines me as a person.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Damien, for the heart-felt thoughts. You address the key points of the task and illustrate with explanations that are clearly important for you. I appreciate the fluency of your post and the fine details, for example, in terms of your comm skills. For that reason, it might have also been good to give an example of something specific you've put your heart into and succeeded at.

    I look forward to reading more from you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you professor Blackstone for the kind comments. I am glad that you appreciate the self introduction. I look forward to learning more from you as well.

      Delete
  5. Hi Damien, it was great to read your letter and learn more about you. Knowing you since the lab sessions in the first trimester really helps to contextualize the things written. I too am an introvert and im sure youll get better at being vocal in no time.

    In terms of the technical writing of the letter, I felt that the language used was very appropriate and the letter was well organised. You also hit all the major points in the requirements. Overall a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ewan, thank you for the kind comments. I am glad that you learned more about me from this self introduction.

    ReplyDelete

Critical reflection

Module learning My goal for this module after the 12 weeks, was to be more vocal towards people and improve my critical thinking skills. Cur...